This project is read-only.

HOST-HEADER site (subdomain) on IIS 6.0 (Win2003)

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:23 AM
Edited Feb 9, 2010 at 9:19 PM

CONFIG: Host header (subdomain) on IIS 6.0 (Win 2003 Server) with separate box running SQL 2005 on same LAN.  Attempting SQL auth for web.config connection string, not Windows Authentication.

PROBLEM: connection string explicitly specified sql acct from the sql 2005 box (same lan), but 'create tables' button (step 1 install) fails sql permissions indicating some other (domain?) account as follows:

------------------------// BEGIN ERROR COPY/PASTE //-----------------------------
An error occured: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'ZZZ\YYY$'. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError
--------------<<lots of gunk here>>---------------
e:\Inetpub\xxxx\help\setup\build_database.aspx.cs:line 44
------------------------// END ERROR COPY/PASTE //-----------------------------

WHERE: ZZZ (above) is my domain, and YYY is the host name of the web server (and I'm not sure about the $ sign)

NOTE: Line 44 referenced above, is "conn.Open();" so clearly, if indeed build_database.aspx.cs:line44 was using the account I specified in the web.config connection string (lets call that "XYZsqlauthaccount" then the script should work, because I tested opening the db with that same account using studio mgr. 

CONNECTION STRING:

<connectionStrings>
<add name="SlickTicket" connectionString="
Data Source=sqlserver.subdom.dom.tld;
Initial Catalog=SlickTicket;
User ID=XYZsqlauthaccount;
Password=privpasswrd;
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
</connectionStrings>

Thank you for your assistance,
~p

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Turns out that we are running the ASP.NET State Service ("logon as"): NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService, so I examined  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998320.aspx and added DOMAIN\websrvr$ as an account and login, mapped with permissions to read, write, and own the db in question, but STILL get errors.