Web Page Incorrectly Displayed

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Hi,

We are evaluating slickticket and it is really good. Just what we are looking for. A straightforward, user friendly, ticketting system.

However, the page doesn't size properly in IE6.  The Administration settings do not get displayed to the left  of the Navigation settings but at the bottom. Also, the top menu items, Dashboard/New Ticket/.../Administration do notdisplay correctly with the Administration sub options listed rather than available as a drop down.

Any sugestions on what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated.

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2009 at 8:53 AM

IE6 is an old and antiquated browser - it does not even come close to following web-standards which makes it very hard to write proper markup for sometimes.  Now it is very possible, and I have done it many times before, but I do not feel it is worth the time since it is at least 2 generations behind ( http://slickticket.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=404 ).  I would have to put in many 'hacks' to my stylesheets to get this to work, and I do not want to do that.  If you sense some bitterness, I will not be shy, I am bitter.  Hacking sites for IE6 has stolen many hours from my life - I spent more time getting things to work in out-of-standards browsers than I did actually designing the site, I have better things to do with my time. 

If you want to hack together a stylesheet, it is very possible, but I am sorry, I do not feel like doing it.

On another note, there is really no reason anyone should still be using IE6 for the simple reason of antiquated security alone, let alone its many shortcomings; in fact, it is negligent to continue to use it.  This browser came out 8 years ago... is there anything on your computer, or even your computer itself that is even close to that old?  I am not alone in this, you can pretty much google 'IE6 sucks' or 'Boycott IE6' and see that this is pretty well accepted: http://www.free-the-web.com/ .  If it is your company telling you that you can not switch (had this happen before) it is nothing more than apathy, as there is truly no reason to stay using IE6, the security is nowhere near modern stsandards and it's web-standards are basically non-existant: they are just too lazy to approve new software, or the beauracracy is in the way.

That is my 2 cents :)  Sorry it will not display correctly with IE6.

Once again, if this came off bitter, it is not directed toward you, but IE6.