This project is read-only.

Making the Text Fields Wide Character Compatible

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM
Edited Mar 24, 2009 at 4:22 PM
First of all, thank you for such a great work.  I am amazed how clean the structure is and how well and fast it works.  I am beginner and I am going learn a lot from your codes.

I just wanted to ask if making it capable of recording multilingual possible (for the future release).  I just applied a little hack to make it work like that for this release.  I replaced all "VARCHAR" and "TEXT" in the setup.sql and db.designer.cs to "NVARCHAR" and "NTEXT".  If I let the program do the initial DB setup after this hack, it can record Chinese, Korean, and Japanese texts (becase the code is so clean, I did not have replace SQL UPDATE statements with and put an "N" in front of every opening single quote).  What I did not consider when I did the hack was not to carefully check what fields need this change.  But so far, I did not see any issues running the program after changing all of them.  I also did not try to find a way do this after normal setup is already done.

Would consider changing the types of some fields to wide character compatible type in the future release?  (this make your project more popular among the people from far east :-) )

Regards,
Mar 25, 2009 at 6:46 AM
Edited Mar 25, 2009 at 7:23 AM
I never really looked into the difference of NVARCHAR and NTEXT as opposed to VARCHAR and TEXT - I am assuming it might just take a bit more memory buut be able to store a larger assortment of information, am I correct?  If that is the case, I would definitely think to include it in the next release!

Also, thanks for the compliments, I am happy to hear it is working for you!