This project is read-only.

SQL Access Error with Windows Authentication

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I have windows 7 with IIS 7.5, windows auth and anonymous disabled.  SQL server 2008 std. 

I keep getting this error "Login failed for user 'IIS APPPOOL\DefaultAppPool'"

This is after logging into the website with my domain credentials.  I have tried several different connection strings, including the connection strings tool in IIS.  I can't seem to get the webserver to authenticate with anything other than that user.

Thanks for any help anyone has to offer!

-Paul

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:38 PM
Hey Everyone,
When I first saw the post below is didnt make sense, but after lots of poking around I read it again and now it works.
I'm guessing that with the new versions of IIS (e.g. Win7 and 2008) you have to change how the system processes your identity.  I've never really used Win server before (spend my time in linux/unix) so if I am wrong please correct me.
Here is a little more detailed record of what I did to fix this:
  1. Goto IIS manager from Control Panel->Administration Tools
  2. Under the drop down on the left, selection Application Pools
  3. Click DefaultAppPool in the new view.
  4. Right Click -> Select Set Application Pool Defaults
  5. Find Process Model -> Identity -> Built-In account -> LocalSystem
  6. Restart the webserver
This is what worked for me, I hope it helps!!
-Paul
#####################################################
Thanks naspinski! I figured out my problem with server 2008 it was the context of application pool. Once I set it to "LocalSystem" for use with windows authentication this worked out fine. I also had some syntax issue with the connection string. All is well and it works great now. I hope this helps others.

H

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:52 PM, naspinski <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I have never tested it on this setup and I know other users have run into problems as well.  I will soon have a Windows 7 machine and can hopefully look at it.  If not, I hope someone else on here sees this that can help.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (slickticket@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email slickticket@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Humberto Merayo
District Network Administrator
IT Security Officer
Bryant School District
hmerayo@bryantschools.org