Accessing just the description

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:00 PM

We set the ticket title to a specified set of values/sub-values to help categorize tickets (would be nice to add Category and Sub-category properly at some point). This means that many of our tickets have the same Title and so I want to add the start of the description to the tooltip which appears in the "My Tickets" and Search results.

The problem is, the "description" seems to actually be the first comment (?) and has embedded HTML containing the user, date, etc. I can strip out the starting HTML, but is the actual description easily retrievable?

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2009 at 5:43 AM

I forgot that I did this, and I really don't like the way I did at all - it is actually coded very poorly.  I store some html in the database which is very poor practice, data and presentation should be seperated always; I am going to change this when I release version 2 as it should not be done this way.  Other than that, I suppose you could develop/find a regex to pull out the description, but there is no simple way to do this.  I apologize for that.

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I wholeheartedly agree and had actually already created a util function to strip the description out to add it to the tooltip, I was hoping that I'd missed something and the text was directly available somewhere.

It will certainly be cleaner in v2 :-)

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Yeah, I did it that way because it basically had to get finished right now so I cut a corner - I am glad you pointed that out to me, I had forgotten.  I finish up my current contract in a few months (I currently work 12 hrs/day, 7 days/week) so then I will be able to focus on fixing a lot of shortcomings of the system.  Thanks for all the input.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:22 PM

If you develop code for any length of time you end up rushing against deadlines :-(

I'm very interested to see v2 code. I've been programming for toooo long but I've only just got into ASP.

Coordinator
Sep 20, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I am excited to say that Version 2.0 Beta is now released!  The (non-user-added) markup is cleaned up and moved out of the DB as it should be, giving you clean access to the ticket details/comments.  There won't be a lot (if any) difference to the user, buut now it is WORLDS easier to customize and work with.  Just be sure to run the upgrade package first.