This project is read-only.

Server Error in '/' Application on setup

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Build slickticket-64066,  Windows 2008R2 , IIS7, ASP.NET v4.0, SQL 2008R2 enterprise.

on install i go first step and create database structure, 

creation of the database structure was completed in full. on the SQL server I can see that all had the present.

on next step "Initial AD Setup" i can retrive next error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Source Error:

Line 22:         if (!IsPostBack)
Line 23:         {
Line 24:             foreach (security_level s in (from p in db.security_levels where p.id > 1 select p))
Line 25:                 ddlLevels.Items.Add(new ListItem(s.id.ToString() + " " + s.security_level_name, s.id.ToString()));
Line 26: 

Source File: c:\inetpub\SlickTicket2\setup\active_directory.aspx.cs    Line: 24

The release Slick-Ticket v2.0 work not problem  on .Net 2.0

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM

This is a problem with your ConnectionString most likely, either that or the DB doesn't exist - you are not connecting to the DB.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

error says that's about it, but it is not understand how the structure of the database was created in the first stage if the error in the connection string.
It is worth noting that is not used MSSQL EXPRESS. In my configuration use MSSQL enterprise edition installed on different server.

my connection string

<connectionStrings>
<add connectionString="Server=ts.spplaw.intra;Database=SlickTicket2;User ID=SlickTicket2;Password=SlickTicket2" name="SlickTicket" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
</connectionStrings>

before setup database i edit sql dumps for use SlickTicket2 database

- use SlickTicket;

+use SlickTicket2;

may be good idea delete "use" statements from dumps

PS. I translate 80% resources of release 2.0 to Russian language, how can I send to you the changed files?

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM

There are a couple options:

• Zip the resx files (in the folder structure) and email them to stan[at]naspinski[dot]net
  • Join the project and upload them into subversion yourself

Just let me know what you want to do; and thank you!

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:57 AM

check You email

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Got it, will put it up soon - thank you!

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Stan, You Can help me in this error ??? i have remote access on server get this error ? and i can get access to its server for you for diagnostics.

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:44 PM

This is simply a connectionstring problem, or your database is not up and running.  My suggestion is to try something simple, like a page that just tries to connect to the database - once you get that working, move forward.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I have repeatedly informed you about the fact that the structure of database is created by setup wizard, but the next step says to me about problems connecting to the database
my

PLEASE contact me directly, i can show You all problems online by Skype or teamviewer.

Now i can perfect use slickTickets v2.0, May be its  fact of my opinion for configure IIS and MSSQL ????

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I am very busy, don't really have the time to contact you any time soon.

This is a simple error, it is not in the program itself, so I may not be able to even help you.  If you search this error, it will be of more help, there are numerous reasons this can be caused, but it is all down to the fact that your program cannot talk to the database, it can't even attempt a connection because the server either isn't there, or does not allow remote connections.

Here is a good place to start: http://www.sqlmusings.com/2009/03/11/resolving-a-network-related-or-instance-specific-error-occurred-while-establishing-a-connection-to-sql-server/

Like I said, this is not an application specific error, it is a general SQL/Asp.Net error.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Stan, You not hear me, General Error exist because SlickTicket not correct connecting to database

• Really Database present,
  • Rights to database true, 
  • On first stage  structure create on it same server and database, 
  • In the same servers (iis and mssql ) Version 2.0 work perfectly  no problem on connection to database
  • my experience is good for configure connect to SQL and .Net 4.0 support on IIS 7.5

I think you as a developer would be worth focus  to people who want to help Your project,

• I sent you the translation,
  • found not a single problem,
  • open the  Issue #7903

and no can give help or fix issue. May be this project do not need my help.

Bye.

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I am not trying to blow you off here, but this is simply a connection problem, it says so right there in the error.  This is not an application error, it is a SQL Connection error.  I do not know hwat to tell you, I am not a very good sys admin to help you fix this - I am sorry.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM

this construction is work "db = new dbDataContext();" (on first stage setup its construction)

this not work  "stDataContext db = new stDataContext();" whitch subject error

Why ??? May be error on stDataContext(); ? may be this procedure not connect to external full mssql ? please check it, may be revert connect to old version or fix on new redaction

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM

The connection is not actually attempted until a data access call is initiated.

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I am not programmer, but in the first case, but works, and the second is not work. Why ?

old release all build on  "db = new dbDataContext();" construction and perfect work

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I am not sure how many times I can explain it -the error clearly states what is wrong - the connection is incorrect.  Either you are specifying the wrong connection, or the server is not allowing them, that is the ONLY reason for that error message.

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I ran into the same problem today using the newest version.  Here are the steps to correct the problem:

In SlickTicket.WebUI (Web.Config) - Change your Connection String

In SlickTicket.DomainModel (App.Config) Change your Connection String

In SlickTicket.DomainModel (Properties/Settings.settings) Change the Connection String (Not it should update itself if you use VS and already change the app.config but you still need to open the file first)

Build the projects and publish the site.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:21 PM

FYI - You should only need to change the Web.Config, as it will override anything in the DomainModel.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM

It doesnt.